Frequently Asked Questions

How is your school different?

Wyatt Institute is the first Real Estate School in South Carolina.  We make it our business to remain on the cutting edge of real estate legislation, regulations, and education.  Our teachers have combined real estate experience of more than 72 years (18 yrs average), teaching experience of 58 years (14 yrs average), and a passion to help people learn and succeed.  In addition to providing the state-mandated education requirements for licensure, we offer free practice exams to our students, free video review of the class, up to one free hour of individual tutoring, analysis of class examination results, immediate availability of a teacher by phone during business hours, and the assurance that once a class is on our calendar, we will not cancel that class.

How do I enroll?

Complete an enrollment form and submit the required deposit.  Enrollments can be completed online by using a credit card or debit card.  If you prefer, we can fax or mail a form to you or you can stop by the office.

I've already attended classes at your school before.  Do I have to enroll again?

Yes.  A new enrollment form must be completed for each class you take at our school. 

Can I enroll over the telephone?

No.  We cannot accept enrollments by telephone.  Please use one of the options listed above.

I have a license in another state.  What do I need to do?

Contact the SC Real Estate Commission:  (803) 896-4400 or visit:  You only need to take the SC portion of the exam.  You are not required to take a class.

Do you have a class for the SC portion of the exam?

We do not offer classes for SC law only.  You may want to purchase the textbook Aware in South Carolina to help in preparation for the state exam.  Call our office to order this text.  Price is $43.50 (add $7.00 for shipping; all items shipped USPS Priority Mail).

When is your next broker class?

Broker classes are offered twice a year; in the spring and in the fall.  Dates will be posted on the website three months in advance.

What is the difference between a salesperson license, a broker license, and a property management license?  Can I get them all?

SC is one of the few states that offers a separate Property Management license.  Individuals who wish to manage properties owned by others, must have a Property Management license OR a Real Estate salesperson or broker license.  A Property Management license does not authorize one to sell real property--only to manage it.  Those who have a Property Management license must work under a Property-Manager-in-Charge OR a Broker-in-Charge.

To represent others in a real estate sales transaction, an individual must have a real estate salesperson or broker license.  All real estate salespersons and brokers must work under the authority of a Broker-in-Charge.  Individuals who wish to be involved in real estate sales transactions will need to complete both the Unit 1 Fundamentals of Real Estate Principles and Practices (aka Pre-License) and the Unit 2 Advanced Real Estate Principles courses and pass the state salesperson exam.  To obtain a broker license, one must have had a salesperson license for a minimum of three years, take additional broker classes and the broker exam.  To open an independent office, an individual must have a Broker-in-Charge license.

You can only have one license active at any given time.